American Idol 11 Top 5 Theme

The Top 6 sang last week and now they sing again. The theme was just picked and the Top 5 will take on a “British Theme”.

Here is where we have a little fun. Simply leave a comment with what you think each of the contestants should sing.

With only four performance shows left in the season, tune in next week, Wednesday, May 2 (8:00-10:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed), when the Top Five – Hollie Cavanagh, Skylar Laine, Joshua Ledet, Phillip Phillips and Jessica Sanchez – return to the IDOL stage to sing for America’s votes on a British music-themed performance show.

1. liz pattison says:

Ed Sheeran Please!!!

Any British artist would be great! That would open the door for Phil Phil to do a little Joe Cocker…something like “Delta Lady or She Came In Through the Bathroom Window”. Otherwise, he cold try “House of The Rising Sun.” (The Animals)

Hollie might try “Downtown”. (Petula Clark)

Joshua could sing “Long and Winding Road.” (Beatles)

Skylar: “Honky Tonk Women” (The Stones)

Jessica: “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me” (Dusty Springfield)

3. Queen Angie says:

I want Phil to do “Time of the Season” by The Zombies. Very badly.

4. Vetle says:

The theme is British Music. I love British music. And as an european watcher, I feel like I know a lot of british music, but maybe not a whole whole lot, since I’m pretty young (20).

Hollie should do “You’ll Never Walk Alone” (I know the very first version wasn’t british, but Gerry & the Pacemakers did it). Dedicate this to her home country, town and her favorite football team (it’s Liverpool’s anthem), it suits her voice too. Then might spice it up with something more up-tempo, like one of Jessie J’s songs, or I’m sure Leona Lewis has some great up-tempo songs. I think this could be Hollie’s week. Her parents must have fed her british music since birth. I could see her do “Please Mr. Postman” by The Marvelettes/The Beatles – which she did brilliantly in Vegas. Then again, it was a trio performance, so it might not be as good as a solo vocal. But at least she is confident with the song. I could see her pulling out another Adele, but I hope not. Could work, but she shouldn’t. I also wanna see her doing a song with a male vocal, that isn’t theme forced, like Keane’s “Somewhere Only We Know”. “I (Who Have Nothing)” by Tom Jones. I know Haley did it, but it suits Hollie perfectly. I’ll throw in “Warwick Avenue” by Duffy too. I do see her doing Dusty Springfield’s “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me” though, which is cool. If Ramiele can do it, so can Hollie. Enough on Hollie. She is my favorite, so I’m kinda passionate OK? :p

Skylar could do “Footprints in the Sand” by Leona Lewis and “The Long And Winding Road” by The Beatles. Written by Simon Cowell, it can easily be country-fied. I’m lost at Skylar. Country is not that big in europe (thankfully). She could really show off her vocals this week though, so it could be great too.

Phillip – for his own sake, he should charm his core fanbase. Maybe flip a boyband-ish song on its head, One Direction’s “What Makes You Beautiful”, or do a cool smooth rendition of the song(s)? Or challenge himself by doing “Angels” by Robbie Williams, it would stretch his vocals. I could see him doing “Twist And Shout” by The Beatles or “The Riddle” by Nik Kershaw too.

Joshua“Uprising” by Muse, weird, but he is able to hit the high notes, so it could suit him. “Mercy” by Duffy, “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” or “Wild Horses” by The Rolling Stones with the gospel choir.

<Jessica“Chasing Pavements” by Adele, one of her older songs, on not the obvious Adele song. “Diamonds Are Forever” by Shirley Bassey. “Outta My Head” by Leona Lewis. Some of Joss Stone’s stuff could suit her too. Her and Skylar are the hardest. Jessica can sing pretty much anything, and Skylar is very country.

Even though I love The Animals and “The House of the Rising Sun”, I don’t want any of them to do it. It’s Haley’s (and Siobhan’s) song now. Period. It would by funny if Hollie or Jessica does it though. Two seasons in a row, my favorite contestant picked one of my all time favorite songs.

TL;DR

5. popopower says:

Hollie- You dont have to say you love me- Dusty Springfield
    “My Love”- Petula Clark

How very vague of you, Nigel. “British theme.” Any British artist?