Song Selections for Top 6

Real fast since I am on my way out the door. Here is the official song selection post for the Top 6. Following hand and hand with the Idol Gives Back show this week the theme is inspirational songs and to the best of my knowledge there isn’t a vocal coach. So do you have any thoughts on your song choices for each of the contestants? Simply leave a comment and we can all discuss. I will post the blank scorecard sometime tomorrow. Please check back if you would like to download it.

Sorry for the outages the past 24 hours. I was changing servers again. It needed to be done and hopefully now we won’t have any connection problems on performance and results night. For more on the move please see this post.

1. kaleigh says:

:em70: :em70: :em70: :em70: :em70: hey i wonder whos gonna win u guys who do you think i love blake he is so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“:em70: :em70: I love Blake Lewis :em70: :em70: :em70:”

2. Dr. Electro says:

I can’t think of a single gospel or inspirational title at all tofday. Must be lack of oxygen to the brain.I think I’ve already walked a mile today. I’m wheezing for breath at teh University library. I want to go home but it’s going to be a while. :em31:

3. Ek says:

Josh Groban’s Don’t give up and You raise me up! But no one has the power to sing it but Groban himself! LOL

Bad Day is a good song choice too, i think.

I agree on Butterfly Kisses too…

Ok, since no one else will venture into Gospel, Conteporary Christian, Inspirational music, here goes.

Phil – Butterfly Kisses – It is perfect for the new dad. It was written by a dad to his new daughter.

Melinda – God on the Mountain – Upbeat Southern Gospel by Lynda Randle

Lakisha – It is Well With My Soul – She can make this as big as her voice will allow. She could also do “How Great Thou Art”, or “Amazing Grace”.

Blake – Beautiful World – by Take 6 – Great opportunity to Beat Box, really it is.
    Chris – Spoken For – by Mercy Me
    Jordin – “Count on Me” or “All is Well” by Kathy Troccoli”

Inspirational music now has something for everyone. There are goups doing Urban Alternative, Southern Gospel, Contemporary Christian, Hip Hop, Rock, Country, all under the banner of Inspirational. There should be something for each of the contestants to sing if they will look around.

5. Penny says:

I don’t really know much about gospel…

But I do think Phil should do Butterfly Kisses if it qualifies… Long Black Train by Josh Turner would be great but no one has the pipes for it.

Chris could do well with Live Laugh and Love by Clay Walker

Someone could do Brooks and Dunn’s ‘Believe’

Jordin should do ‘I hope you dance’ or ‘This Ones for the Girls’
    I also think it would be really neat if Jordin sang Whitney Hustons ‘I will always love you’ acapella so we can really hear her voice.

Garth Brooks ‘Standing Outside The Fire’ is fantastic, but I don’t think the guys have what it takes to do it.

As you can tell I’m a country music girl, I don’t know any Gospel… but these were just a few ideas.

P.S. Tim.m where are you????

[quote post="613"]inspirational?
    JT- Sexy back[/quote]

LOL :em62:

7. thom says:

inspirational?
    JT- Sexy back

For Simon, inspirational probably means “My Way”, by Sinatra, which in fact is about as self centered and self indulgent and arrogant as a song can get. It’s a great melody, but the message is not inspirational in the traditional sense.

However, since the judges seem to think that Phil could have a career in country music, I would encourage him to drag out the Randy Travis “Glory Train” and “Worship & Faith” CD’s. He will find more than enough inspiration there.

Can I get a witness?
    Amen Brotha…Preach it!!!
    Praise Jesus….Halleujah!!!
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Ok, I feel better now.

Not at all, in fact I’m looking forward to it. Gospel is perhaps my favorite music.
    All I’m saying that Simon or any of the judges cannot condem Lakisha for bringing out the Full Gospel song book and startin’ a revival!
    And yes, you can probably expect to hear “Butterfly Kisses” from Phil. He’s a dad, and that’s exactly the context that song was written for.

12. Joyce says:

[quote post="613"]Amen![/quote]

Oh, you’re ready for inspirational week, aren’t you Angie? lol

13. Joyce says:

[quote post="613"]You are going to get classic Black Gospel Diva from Kiki this week, count on it. It may be her swan song and it may not be popular but Lakisha is going stand in the middle of that stage and preach Jesus through music[/quote]

I’m confused, Driller. Are you saying there’s something wrong with Lakisha choosing a gospel song? (if she does)

[quote post="613"]It’s called Live Like You Were Dying, and it’s just as annoying as any other contemporary country song.[/quote]

Amen!

Simon can call it self indulgent, or whatever he wants, but when you say inspirational, look for Lakisha to bring out the Gospel song book and let ‘er rip. You are going to get classic Black Gospel Diva from Kiki this week, count on it. It may be her swan song and it may not be popular but Lakisha is going stand in the middle of that stage and preach Jesus through music, because inspirational means one thing to her….Gospel. Like Mandisa, Kiki’s faith is important to her and by having an inspirational theme night, you have given her permission to “Go Tell It On The Mountain.” Don’t be suprised if you get a Mahaila Jackson number out of Lakisha.
    This will be another week when the girls will have a definite advantage over the guys.

16. Joyce says:

[quote post="613"]Also, maybe, “I Hope You Dance” or “Butterfly Kisses” or that one Tim McGraw song..”I went skydivin..I went Rocky Mountain climbin…” you know the one…[/quote]

…. I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Manchu…. It’s called Live Like You Were Dying, and it’s just as annoying as any other contemporary country song.

I predict a Whitney Houston song…ugh.

18. Joyce says:

Um, I don’t think I know any inspirational songs. Is that bad? Let’s see… someone could sing “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”. :em62: